Social Icons

12 Sep 2012

RTW - Word, Yo

 
Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.
 
This Week's Topic is:
What word processing program do you use to write you manuscript, and can you share one handy trick you've learnt in that program that has helped you while you write?
 
I'm not that technology savvy when it comes to word processing documents.  I've only ever used word for writing everything and that doesn't really come with fancy tricks.  It's pretty basic which is really what I need when it comes to writing. I always think it'll give me extra room if I had a word processor that came with fancy sections where I could file everything into so I'm willing to try out any recommendations. :)
 
But I'm the kind of writer who likes to be able to see my notes at any time.  And due to that I go old-fashioned in my note planning and drafting:
 
 
 
So educate me! Any word processing programmes you recommend? :)


8 comments:

  1. I'm just a Word girl. I really couldn't be bothered to sit down and learn another program like Scrivener that's intended specifically for writers. I like what I know. That being said, I'm currently sitting down with a coil notebook making notes. Talk about low-tech! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to have my notes and outlines printed out, so I can jot ideas down and not have to constantly toggle between screens.
    Technology scares me a little, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Word and lots of notebooks ;) Yours are pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use Word as well. In the 2010 version, I especially like that you can make your chapter titles "headings" and then display them in a nice sidebar where you can click the chapter you want to go to. That is enough to keep me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I work in I.T., so I have no fear of technology, but I've come to the point where I want something that does the job. I use Word, but I don't use the latest version. In fact, at home I'm still on Office 2003 (we have 2007 at work). If someone can convince me that upgrading to Office 2010 would help me write better, or more efficiently, then I'll be interested. Right now, 2003 does what I need it to do. Heck, I'll use pen and paper if it gets the creative juices flowing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm all about Word if you need to write. Just have to be careful of the crazy formatting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice, Jaime! =D I'm the same way with technology. I don't usually like changes because it takes me ages to get used to new technology. Like facebook. I was terrible at it when I first signed up and every time it changes I'm ready to tear my hair out because now I have to get used to another version of it.

    Rebecca, it helps take some time away from the computer. Staring at a screen for ages can give me headaches and I'm sure it doesn't help my eyesight either.

    Thanks, Cole! =D

    Susan, thanks for that tip. I didn't even know word could do that!

    Word 2012 isn't too bad, Colin. Everything's set out neatly in the categories for you. It's not that different I don't think.

    Thanks Sara. :) Gotta have loads of colours. ^^

    lihellebuyck, it's just a nice and basic word processing programme, isn't it? :) No trouble, really.

    ReplyDelete