Social Icons

26 Sep 2012

RTW - Best Book of September

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.
 
This Week's Topic is: What was the best book you read in September?

Firstly, can I just say what the hell happened to September? Most of these months have been over quickly but September has definitely flown by the quickest!
 
Again it's been another slow reading month for me.  I've been getting in some reading whenever I can but real life is really pushing to be first priority at the moment.  The new school year has started up again and these past few weeks of getting the new pupils in and settled has been tiring as I get back into routines and early mornings.  I've had more driving lessons with plenty of homework and revision to do for my theory and I'm slowly getting prepared for applying to a PGCE course in two weeks.  It's been absolutely mad.  I've got a tons of blogging posts planned for Halloween next month but after that I might chill out a bit and lessen the amount of time I blog for a bit at the beginning of November so I can catch up on driving, writing, and reading. :)
 
The two books I read in September were:
 
City of Glass by Cassandra Clare
Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake
 
I have only a few more pages to go but without a doubt my favourite book has been:
 
Anna Dressed in Blood
I'll be reviewing it for my special Halloween book reviews but for now I'll just say that I absolutely LOVE this book! Finally, I'm getting some decent horror! Kendare Blake is my new horror hero.
 
The book is chilling.  The ghosts alone are creepy and would actually have me terrified.  They're born out of tragic deaths and stay in this loop, harming and even murdering people who are alive because they continue to re-enact their deaths and I don't think they can even control their murderous rampages.  It's both tragic and threatening. 
 
I also quite liked it because in a way this book reminds me a little of Supernatural which I am absolutely in love with.  Cas is a ghost hunter who travels around USA and Canada with his mum and cat, following ghost cases.  Very Sam and Dean Winchester.
 
A perfect book for the upcoming spooky month! I'm hoping to finish it tonight and I have the sequel too, ready to read. So looking forward to Girl of Nightmares.
 
What's your best book of September? :)

10 comments:

  1. Oh, I have that one on my kindle!! I wanted to start it so many times, but never got to it ... I think I'll have to read it during Halloween hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo you must! It's a great read to get you in the mood for spooky stories! =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Juliana, I was also thinking this would be perfect to read around Halloween-time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed Anna! I got the second book for review but haven't read it yet. Sometimes you just need a good creepy story :-)

    http://wordsareinnermusic.blogspot.com/2012/09/road-trip-wednesday-best-book-ive-read.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perhaps I just haven't read enough reviews, or I haven't been paying attention, but I didn't realize this novel was that creepy. Interesting. I might have to check it out for something different. Thanks, Robin! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have this one and I can't wait to read it! I'm saving it for October because it feels like a great pre-Halloween read. Your review just makes me that much more excited! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a bit wimpy when it comes to scary/horror stories. It sounds like I'll need to read this with the big light on *grins*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan, it's a perfect time! It will definitely give you the chills. :)

    Valia, I've been in need for a creepy story for ages! I hope we get to see more horror stories like this in the future.

    Colin, it's truly chilling at times. I don't think the blurb might portray that as well but there's more to the story than Cas meeting a dead girl who won't kill him.

    Jaime, it's such a fantastic read! I hope you enjoy reading it.

    Beck, you might have to haha. I did! I was reading it at night and had to switch a couple of lights on when I went to sleep. I was actually creeped out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh. That sounds deliciously creepy, and perfect for this time of year. I've heard wonderful things about this one, but I'm such a wimp that I haven't picked it up yet. Sounds like it's worth it, though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really worth it. Worth it for great characters and an interesting MC at least. :)

    ReplyDelete