Social Icons

24 Sep 2012

Book Review: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. A strange collection of very curious photographs. Fiction is based on real black and white photographs. The death of grandfather Abe sends sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, and explores abandoned bedrooms and hallways. The children may still live.

I have to admit Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children was a bit more sci-fi/fantastical than horror, which was what I expected.  So I think the blurb and the book cover is a little misleading but then I'm quite bad for seeing children and immediately thinking creepy.

But still, I liked it. Especially the photographs. I loved being able to see these peculiar children Jacob was meeting. It added to the strange atmosphere of the book overall and they were nice little additions to what I was reading. It made everything come to life for me, like it could actually be real.

The monsters lurking around were terrifying enough to give me nightmares so there was a little bit of horror in the novel. They were absolutely disgusting and monstrous that I would have locked myself up in my room if I was in that house and the threat was close by. I wouldn't have wanted to face it. The wights, although more human-like, were by far the most threatening. To mingle in society and be anyone was a scary thought. They could be your neighbour, a shop assistant, teacher. They have eyes everywhere and you wouldn't know. I did see part of the twist coming with the wights but not all of it so there can be a few surprises with this book. 

But overall I think I did expect the book to be a bit creepier and fall into the horror genre. The children aren't what they seem in the photographs. Excluding their powers they're actually quite normal and fun loving children. And I thought there would be something sinister about the house. But then, now knowing they aren't a threat and getting to know them more in the novel I actually found that these children actually make an interesting bunch of characters and a great, close team. I'm looking forward to their journeys in the sequel.  Although I don't think I'm looking forward to seeing where Jacob and Emma's relationship go.  That had me cringing at times and was very much an ick factor for me.

I will advise anyone who would like to purchase this book not to upload onto Kindle.  I'd try and get the printed copy if you can.  Now I'm completely in love with my Kindle and have found it so useful but for Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children the photographs aren't the best quality as an e-book and I felt like I lost out on seeing some amazing pictures. 

It's not horror but I still enjoyed it.  The novel is quite fantastical which luckily I like so I wasn't entirely disappointed by the misleading blurb and cover. 




1 comment:

  1. I have the print edition and the whole book is a work of art in itself. From the paper quality to the layout to the photographs--well worth investing in for the full experience. Of course, the story's the most important thing, and your Kindle edition gave you that, so it's not as if you missed anything really. But the book really is exquisite. :)

    ReplyDelete