Social Icons

13 Aug 2012

Book Review: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E Smith

Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?

Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. Having missed her flight, she's stuck at JFK airport and late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon-to-be stepmother Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's sitting in her row.

A long night on the plane passes in the blink of an eye, and Hadley and Oliver lose track of each other in the airport chaos upon arrival. Can fate intervene to bring them together once more?

Quirks of timing play out in this romantic and cinematic novel about family connections, second chances, and first loves. Set over a twenty-four-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.


I'm still not sure if I even believe in love at first sight but I believe in instant attraction and liking a person very much. Hadley and Oliver clicked and you could see how comfortable they immediately were with their conversations and body language. It was realistic and touching to read.  I liked how they interacted with each other during the plane ride. 

I felt the flashbacks kept interrupting the plot and the relationship development between Hadley and Oliver.  I think Hadley's back story with her parent's divorce could have easily been told through dialogue or Hadley's narration in the present. It could have allowed the author to explore the tense relationship between Hadley and her father a lot more because it seemed like the wedding and resolutions happened too fast.  I think the book could have done with being a bit longer so any character developments wouldn't have felt so rushed. 

I did find it slow to get through and wasn't a kind of book that I could get hooked on, turning and turning the pages. It did keep me wondering about the fate of Oliver and Hadley, whether they would see each other or not.

That's all I wanted to say about the book, to be honest.  It was short and didn't have many sub-plots, twists and turns.  I think I prefer my books to be like that but I have to admit that his would be a nice beach/summer read. Something light, short, and easy to get through.

No comments:

Post a Comment