Social Icons

25 Jul 2012

RTW - My Next Life...

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.
This Week's Topic:
If you could be reincarnated as any fictional character, which would it be?
I'd probably go for Alice in Alice in Wonderland.  In the classic tale she is an argumentative, curious child who is strong enough to question the nonsensical adult world and challenge authority.  And in Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland I liked how he developed her character futher, keeping her as a young girl who questions what she sees in society and rebels against it and ponders about the strangest things.  She doesn't want to be married off to someone she barely knows.  She wants more than that.  When people comment of her strange thoughts and not being ladylike she stands up for herself and continues to be herself.  I actually think she's a good role model for young girls, encouraging them that they don't need to follow society's rules and conform if it feels ridiculous to them.

Tomorrow I'm off to Darlington and will be gone for a week so I won't be posting Saturday, Monday, and Tuesday.  Might post on Wednesday if I get back home on time but we'll see.  So if you've just started your holidays have a great first week and I'll see you next Wednesday/Saturday!

17 comments:

  1. Alice is a really good choice, and a great model for girls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very interesting choice, Robin! Alice certainly doesn't fit the stereotype of young 19th century girls. Have fun in Darlington--we (speaking for the blogisphere) will miss you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good answer! I'm ashamed to say that I've never actually read ALICE IN WONDERLAND, but I probably should. I have THE LOOKING GLASS WARS too, so that should make its way onto my TBR shelf. Alice certainly has an interesting life, that's for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good choice! I never really thought of Alice like though, though I've sadly never read ALICE IN WONDERLAND either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting choice and interesting analysis of Alice. Beautiful blog, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alice is SUCH a great character! I often pattern my female MCs after her. She really is a great role-model for girls and she has wonderful adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alice! Of course, how did I not think of her? Great choice! Love how her curiosity lands her on trouble all the time ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great choice! I didn't even think of Alice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like how you put the Alice from the books and Alice from the Tim Burton movie side by side. I never read Alice in Wonderland all the way through though, but I love the Tim Burton movie, (Even though it's a grown up Alice)
    Great post thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Samantha, Donelle I think she's quite underrated as a role model. People go for the obvious choices like Katniss or Tris but how about one who has a sharp tongue and intellect rather than brawn for once? =D

    Jaime and Rachael, they're a must-read! Alice in Wonderland and The Looking Glass Wars are terrific books. Alice is quite a strong character in both books. You'll enjoy reading them. :)

    Colin, she's quite ahead of her time. It'd be interesting to see how strong and independent she'd look in modern times where women have a lot more rights and options than they used to have. How could she develop from there into our time? :)

    Tyler-Rose, thank you very much!

    Juliana, she does end up in a lot of chaos, doesn't she? But she argues her way through it which is what I like about her. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bess, thank you! There's plenty of characters that others have thought of that I didn't as well! But I like my choice. I want to be the curious, argumentative girl that follows rabbits down holes. :D

    Ms Fairy Freak, it's a really good book. Very nonsensical and fun. :) I loved the Tim Burton film too. I thought it was a great place to continue Alice's story. Kept to her character quite a lot. And Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter! Who couldn't love that? =D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never likes the book 'Alice in Wonderland', but you're right -- Alice is a great character, always adventurous and curious. There's a lot to admire about her. And now you have me curious about the latest version of the movie!

    Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. that is a great one! It would be pretty fun to follow the rabbit downt he rabbit hole.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I must admit I always got caught up in the magical land of Wonderland and never thought much about Alice as a character. Now that I think about it though you are right, Alice would make a great role model!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Alice would have never crossed my mind, but you've brought up some great points about her. Hope you have fun in Darlington!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I loved the Alice books growing up (was never as keen on the ditzy Disney version of her though, the book version was much sharper). Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very interesting choice, Robin! I haven´t read the book, should get on it though!
    Hope you´re having a lovely time in Darlington!

    ReplyDelete