Social Icons

12 Jun 2012

Top Ten Tuesdays: Beach Reads

Today's top ten Tuesdays wants to know our beach read recommendations.  If I'm on a beach I'd personally go for fun reads that I can just get hooked on, turning the pages as I soak up the sun and relax in the warmth.

So my top ten books would be:


1) The Duff by Kody Keplinger
2) Like Mandarin by Kirsten Hubbard
3) Everything Beautiful by Simmone Howell
4) Notes from the Teenage Underground by Simmone Howell
5) The Forbidden Game Trilogy by L J Smith
6) Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith
7) The Princess Bride by William Goldman
8) The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith
9) The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants by Ann Brashares
10) Fear Street collectors's edition #6: Summer Horror by RL Stine

The reason I've chosen these books are because they were all very quick, easy reads for me.  I just disappeared straight into their worlds, flicking the pages until I reached the end and was abruptly brought back into reality.  I've also added in The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight because even though I wasn't a fan of it, I do think it would be perfect for anyone who wants to relax with a nice, simple YA romance novel.  It's another easy read, perfect for those hot sunny days when you don't really want to dive into a long novel with a thousand and one sub-plots, tons and tons of characters, and mysteries to solve.  And for those who want a little bit of a scary summer, RL Stine's Summer Horror collection from his Fear Street series is perfect for those quiet, hot nights.

I wanted to cheat and add in Wanderlove by Kirsten Hubbard but I haven't got round to reading it yet.  I'm basing it entirely on the blurb which sounds like it would be perfect to read during the summer.  It's what I'm actually saving it for.  Once summer and the holidays get here I'm diving into the book to really get the feel of the adventure.

Anything you'd recommend? :) Have a look at everyone else's suggestions here.

7 comments:

  1. One of my favourite summer reads is The Passage by Justin Cronin. Absolutely amazing book. I can't wait for the sequel to come out this year :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just checked that out on Wikipedia. Sounds like my kind of book. Adding to the TBR pile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you enjoy it! First time I read it, it stayed with me for days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good list, Robin! Of the books here, I've only read LIKE MANDARIN, and I would have thought that a little "serious" for a beach read--but maybe my definition's narrower than yours. It's certainly an excellent book, and I too look forward to reading WANDERLOVE in the not-too-distant future.

    I did smile at ABRAHAM LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTER. I've not read it, but I know about it (in fact, I watched the Goodreads interview with Seth Grahame-Smith), and thought "that's probably the perfect beach book for a horror writer!" :)

    I didn't think of THE PRINCESS BRIDE. I haven't read it yet, but if it's anything like the movie (which I understand it is--essentially) that would be a good beach read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Personally, I think Wanderlove is a great beach read, it's fantastic and easy to lose yourself in.

    AND AHHH! I love love The Princess Bride, both movie and book ALWAYS AND FOREVER!

    My Top Ten Tuesday

    PS not sure if you know this or not but captcha/word verification is on and it's really hard to decipher.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants BEGS to be read on the beach. Great choices.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Colin! I agree that Like Mandarin is pretty serious but for a beach read I just need something that I can get hooked on and read. And Like Mandarin had me turning the pages! I'll be reviewing it next Monday!

    April, I can't wait to read Wanderlove! And thanks for letting me about captcha. I did keep it on, worried about spam but I'll have a look at how bad it might be. If it's really ridiculous to read I'll take a trial week and see if the spam gets bad.

    Angela, it's just the perfect summer book. Especially the first one when Lena and Bridget are in different countries. A true summer holiday!

    ReplyDelete