Social Icons

6 Jun 2012

RTW - Best Book of the Month

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.
This Week's Topic:
Best Book You Read in May

It's hard to choose because I read quite a few wonderful books last month.  I finished reading Stardust in the beginning of May but that was a disappointment.  And I got through Catching Fire (Suzanne Collins), Like Mandarin (Kirsten Hubbard), Divergent and the sequel Insurgent (Veronica Roth).

While I thought the sequel was fantastic and action packed I'm going to have to go with Divergent.  It was the first glimpse into this dystopian Chicago and Tris' development in this was better than in Insurgent.  I loved seeing this uncomfortable, reserved Abnegation girl just let herself go and strive to be the Dauntless she wants to be.  It's such a difference seeing her in her old faction to her new one and I loved that.  Her character felt free and we could finally get a glimpse into her real personality, something she was keeping back before the choosing ceremony and a little at the beginning of her Dauntless training.

I loved the developing relationship between Four and Tris.  It was gradual and they saw each other as equal.  Four believed in her and Tris admired him. 

And Peter... god, I wanted to punch him in the face.  He was a dangerous villain.  Perfect.  Not someone who can talk the talk but can't walk the walk.  If he wanted something he was going to get it.  Roth made me absolutely loathe this antagonist and I was desperate to see him get what he deserves.

A fantastic read.

Join in with us on RTW at YA Highway! 


21 comments:

  1. Great, isn't it? I didn't read Insurgent yet, because I have many books on my kindle and promised myself I won't buy any other book until I read all of those, but I can't wait for to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't read this yet but it seems everyone is telling me I should :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Divergent is next on my list to read.... I keep saying that, but I have about ten books from the library that I need to get through first.... a good problem to have, I guess. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, Juliana, I tell myself that I should read what I have before I buy. But Waterstones is so tempting every time I pass it in town. That and having a kindle as well... ^^

    Xan, it's really good. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. It's rare that I'm hooked on a book but this had me turning the pages.

    Sara, it might be good to have all those books. When you're waiting impatiently for next year and the final book, they'll keep you going! =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. An excellent choice, Robin. :) One of the things I like about Tris's character is that, even in Dauntless, she shows that her Abnegation roots are still close to her heart. She is fearless, but still looking out for others, and putting others first. We see this same kind of thing with other Dauntless initiates who can't shake their Erudite or Candor upbringing. This kind of character layering is one of the things that make this series exceptional.

    I appreciated your review of STARDUST, btw. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Characters were exceptionally strong and complex. Even Caleb's character. I was glad to see the faction he went for because I worried he wasn't going to be developed as much when he showed pure Abnegation qualities. But he's just as layered. Wonderful character creation. :)

    Glad you liked the review, Colin. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I preferred Divergent to Insurgent too, even though both were great. And I having a feeling that the next one is going to be really amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Same, I think it'll live up to expectations. :) I'm looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good choice! I agree that DIVERGENT totally beat INSURGENT. There was a lot more character development in the first book...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I definitely preferred DIVERGENT over INSURGENT. The second book was good, but the first was better. And judging from what I'm seeing, I'm not the only one who thought that. Great choice for a best book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree. Tris was her strongest here in Divergent. She was at her best, a lot better than she was in Insurgent.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohh, DIVERGENT was definitely one of my top reads for 2011!!! And I agree, I liked it better than INSURGENT, for many of the same reasons you mentioned! I really loved the relationship between Tris and Four in the first book - and I felt this was lacking in the second title (I get why, but it didn't make me miss it any less!).
    Great choice for top May read!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally understood the reasons behind their relationship in the second book. But I still missed how they were in the first book. I do think their drama went a little OTT at some points but I hope it'll be toned down in the final book. I'm hoping they'll have more faith in each other by then otherwise I can't see it working.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome choice! DIVERGENT was one of my top reads for 2011 as well and INSURGENT was my best book of May. I think I agree with you about Divergent being the better of the two, but I also have trouble loving middle books in general. In order for me to truly love one, I have to read the final book so that I can see what it lead into.

    The ending of Insurgent is my favorite of the two. I'm still kind of in shock.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't read this book yet, but it sounds really cool! :)

    http://lifeisgood-forever21.blogspot.com/2012/06/rtw-best-book-of-may.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been thinking like that Rachael, specifically in terms of Tris and Four. I'll wait to see where their relationship heads in the third before I judge the development properly. I'm hoping Insurgent was just a bad period for them.

    Alyssa, you should definitely read Divergent! Fantastic book. You'll be hooked! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds good! Thanks for the recommendation. I'll add it to my TBR list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think whenever you read Divergent, it's going to be up there with the top books of the month. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes yes yes. I LOVE Divergent. And Insurgent, of course. I can't imagine choosing between the two for best book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Excellent choice - DIVERGENT rules! SUCH a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like Divergent more too, but I think it was because of a different reason. :) Divergent had more FOUR!!! I wanted MORE FOUR in Insurgent :) haha

    ReplyDelete