Social Icons

27 Jun 2012

RTW - Best Book of June

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.

 
This Week's Topic:
What was the best book you read in June?
 
It was a slow reading month for this time around but I managed to get through The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight (Jennifer E.Smith), Mockinjay (Suzanne Collins), and The Looking Glass Wars (Frank Beddor).  Out of these three I'll have to go with...
 
 
The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor. 
 
I'll get to the full review in the near future but for now I'll just sum up what I loved about the book:
 
The concept of Wonderland is both unique and familiar.  Beddor is giving the impression that Wonderland is actually real and while he tries to seperate the characters and the world from Carroll's book, he still gives them the nonsensical traits that we have come to know.  Wonderland is still ridiculous at times and I like that Beddor didn't diverge completely from the world Carroll created. 
 
Each character is fascinating and bizarre.  The Mad Hatter becomes Hatter Madigan, a fierce soldier whose hat can be the most deadliest weapon.  He's not as loony as The Mad Hatter but there are times when he does seem a little unstable.  Alyss (AKA Alice) is still just as curious and odd with her ponderings and perception of things.  Her imagination still plays a key role in everything around her, being a powerful ability in Wonderland.  And Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum are actually General Doppelganger.  He can split into Generals Doppel and Ganger.  I loved seeing how Beddor created his own idea of the characters to show how Carroll may have drawn inspiration for the ones in his book. 
 
It's a fantastic read so if you find it, grab it!
 
Come join us on YA Highway! Let us know what your favourite book of the month is.
 


14 comments:

  1. You have made me so curious for this book I need to try and find it ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds fantastic! Confession: It's sitting on the shelf behind me right now...unread. Guess I should get on that, right? :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool -- I like that approach on a classic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that sounds so fun. I've never heard of this one, and now I'm hooked. Thanks for the rec :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds very cool. Have you read Jasper Fforde's take on classic fairy tales? The Big Over Easy is one. Not sure if he's written more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, Jaime! Yes you should! Of course there are plenty of books on my TBR that need to be read that others have raved about... I need to get a move on! XD

    It's such a great fun. Really fun. So I definitely recommend it to you all! =D

    Karen, no I haven't. But I'll be looking out for him. I really do enjoy retellings and seeing what people come up with. Always fun to read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hadn't heard of this one but now I'd really like to find it! It sounds fascinating and I love retellings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I ever heard much about it either when I found it. Then again the next two books are out so it might not be huge news anymore. Still, I think it deserves more attention. Great read!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never heard of this title. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds quite interesting and I´ve never heard about it before. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  11. No problem! Gotta spread the word about the book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jaime: You have the most awesome shelf of books behind you that you have yet to read! ;)

    Robin: I know I've seen this book on people's lists, but I don't think I ever realized it was a play off of Lewis Carroll's work (though the title should have been a big giveaway-duh!). Okay, I'm interested. Going on the TBR list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting that you went with the one of those three I haven't read. It looks like I'll have to add it to the TBR. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have heard about it before and I love re-tellings when they are well done, and seems this one is!

    ReplyDelete