Social Icons

10 Jun 2012

ROW80 Check In 10/06/2012

Another week, another check in for ROW80.  Last week I wanted to reach 20K of my draft by today.

Word count: 20,210

After reaching 20K earlier in the week, I've slowed down since then.  I think I burned myself out a little, trying to get as much writing done as possible that first few days and needed the little breaks once in a while.  I thought I could maybe get away with them if I've already written up to 20K.  And I also wanted to take the time to get a few holiday chores done before work starts again and the chaos of the last term begins. 

I'm happy where things are leading in this draft.  I like it a whole lot more than the first draft for Beast Inside which I thought was absolutely horrendous when I finished.  I like the characters, I know them better than I did when I first started planning the novel at the beginning of university, and I know what their sub-plots are and how they'll develop with them. 

The sub-plots also have lead to a few surprise turns that I think works well for each character's development and stories.  I'm actually pairing up a couple of characters which fits well into what they're experiencing at school.  I normally avoid romance if I'm writing anything with supernatural elements because I always think it'll just get in the way for the characters but this time I'm making an exception.  It works, it doesn't steer away from the plot, and it'll give whole new sides to the characters. 

Next week's target: 30,000

Don't forget to check out how everyone else is doing.  Just click here to read everyone's progress!

5 comments:

  1. Woot! Well done! I'm so glad you were able to meet your goal, and I'm sure you'll meet the next one too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck hitting your target! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on reaching your goal, Robin! I hope this weeks proves to be as productive for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, guys! You always keep me motivated! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic writing week for you! From the depth of your post, it is clear you know your current work in progress for your reflections are concise and clear. That alone is worth many hurrahs; every word that is written always counts somewhere.

    Have a great week.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete