Social Icons

13 Jun 2012

Road Trip Wednesday - A Writer Away

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.


This Week's Topic:
If you could go on a writing retreat anywhere, where would you go & who would you bring?
 

I answered something this back in January, choosing lakeside lodges.  Let's call them my affordable writer's retreat.  Something that I'd be most likely to go on due to money and travel.  But I'm going to dream big for this post.  I've searched around the internet for gorgeous locations abroad and picked my five favourite places.  So if millions ever come my way, I'm packing my bags and heading off to any one of these countries:
It looks absolutely stunning.  I love the little balconies.  They'd be perfect for those warm nights, writing away under the stars and surrounded by tranquility.  There are hills all around which again would be perfect because I could never write in a busy city.  I'd want to explore the shops and sights. 
This one is a one bedroom villa, private swimming pool, market and restaurants are about 10-15 minutes walk and the place and has connections with the mythology of Jason and the Argonauts.  Awesome! And beautiful.  I think Greece has to be next on my list of places to visit after Italy. 

I fell in love with Santorini since watching The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants.  The buildings and architecture are fantastic and everything looks so clean and bright with so much history. 


4) Gite Ty Ker Breiz 2, Callac, Brittany
Callac is a market town and these pictures remind of a lot of the market towns and village suburbs around Yorkshire which would also make me feel right at home. 


I've always been interested in visiting German towns and villages.  They look so historic and this particular villa looks amazing.  Lovely inside. :) So wouldn't mind waking up in this house

And they're my five top getaway locations.  I think the boyfriend and I should start saving now..

9 comments:

  1. I think Greece (particularly the Greek Isles) would be fantastic! I laughed when I saw your comment about Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants because I had the same experience. :) I think I might end up staring at the scenery a little too much and gorging myself on baklava.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo... that house in Germany... mmm.. yes, I could stand staying there for a while. Also, I was born in Germany (in a British Military Hospital there), so it would be cool to visit anyway. Doesn't sound like I'd get much writing done, but still... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm already in Germany - I'll plan the retreat and you'll meet me there? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. All excellent and very beautiful locations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jaime, Colin, I think in reality I would just want to enjoy the scenery too. But if the location is quite isolated and I've taken a day to explore the surroundings I may be able to be good and write. :) Even if I don't, what a trip it would be!

    A.K, that would be lovely! That would be another plus of going abroad for a writing retreat - meeting other writers. :)

    Cole, it makes me want to travel abroad now! Someday though... I'll be there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Germany does have some beautiful hidden corners and old style houses. But you should go down into Bavaria better than Baden-Wuttenberg! We have much lovelier forests and the best weather of the country :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. All these look sooooo wonderful, but I think for a *writing retreat* my top pick would be #5. Though I would probably take Katharina's advice--I was in Bavaria when I visited Germany and it was absolutely delightful and GORGEOUS...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great locations! I've always wanted to go to Greece - for the food, the history, the gorgeous landscape. I would probably get nothing accomplished there.

    And I would drink WAY too much beer in Germany to be productive. Prost!

    ReplyDelete
  9. =D I'll be taking a look at Bavaria then! And better weather, you say? That would be a lovely escape after English weather!

    @Sara, beer could be a reward. :) Write lots then treat yourself to a beer!

    ReplyDelete