Social Icons

30 May 2012

RTW - Writer Heaven

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.
 This Week's Topic:
What writing conference(s) would you love to go to?

The only writing conference I've ever been to is the one hosted by my former university.  Every year in March Leeds Trinity held the Writer's Festival where we had guest authors conducting writing workshops on a variety of topics and a chance to meet and talk with other writers.  It wasn't just for the students of LTUC.  Anyone was welcome.  I couldn't go this year because of work and it'll be the same next year but when I take a year out to study I hope I'll have the chance to then. 

I've always thought the UK don't do many events like this apart from comic-cons and collectormania.  But SCBWI sounds like I'd have the opportunity to meet up with writers from around the UK.  Cheaper than flying overseas (it'll be years before I can afford a trip to America).  And it'll be nice to meet fellow UK writers, people who are close by and you can have the opportunity to talk in person, not just through blogs or forums.   

BEA sounds fantastic.  I'd be in heaven.  But I think it lands at a time when I'm working and I'm not in the sort of job where I can just take a holiday whenever.  Y'ALLfest sounds awesome just because it's focus is YA.  My kind of place.  But if I did have the money I still couldn't go.  I doubt it'd be half term around that time.  

7 comments:

  1. I'd like to go to the Edinburgh book festival. That looks quite fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in Canada, and it seems like all the really cool conferences are in the U.S. It's pretty pricey to get from here to just about anywhere down there, so I hear ya. Wouldn't it be great to attend SCWBI in NYC one year, though? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm surprised there aren't more writer events in the UK given the strong literary tradition there is there. Mind you, depending on where in the US you live, some of these US conferences can be really expensive to get to. If you live on the west coast, it would cost you almost as much to fly to a NY conference as it would if you lived in the UK.

    Perhaps I'll "see" you at WriteOnCon... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the same issue - most conferences are in the US! But I did find some in the UK that sounded good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found your blog through the blog hop and I'm so glad I did! I used to live in England as a kid (my dad was serving in the United States Air Force). If I ever actually get a book published and make money, traveling to England and a few other countries nearby will be at the top of my list.

    Anyway, now that I've rambled a bit at you, I just wanted to say I empathize with your conference plight. I am in the US but live in a really rural town and conferences are quite far away from me. I finally went to two this year for the first time and would love to go to more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooo Cole, I forgot about Edinburgh! That'd be a nice trip in the summer. And I'd be on holiday!

    Jaime, I'd love to visit New York one day. I'll be needing extra pennies in my pocket for that but it'd be an amazing experience.

    There probably are quite a few but I think they're quite low key. We have local festivals like the Ilkley Literature Festival but there's never been a workshop that's caught my eye. I'll really consider WriteOnCon. Sounds like fun. :)

    Katharina, I checked out your list. Avron sounds lovely. I'd love to have a writer's retreat in the countryside with no distractions.

    Leslie, I always say the same thing but about America. :) As soon as I got the cash in my pocket I'm visiting the USA. And if I can visit while there's a conference on, so heading straight there! Thanks for following! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to visit the US too (in Australia). Seems so far away!

    ReplyDelete