Social Icons

16 May 2012

RTW - Memories

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.

This week's topic:
What book brings back a memory?

To sum up my childhood: Goosebumps.  Pure Goosebumps.  Ever since I eight years old and I snatched my cousin's copy of The Haunted Mask I was addicted.  R.L.Stine was my reading childhood.  For a young kid they were actually creepy, full of twists and cliffhanger endings that I would be gasping at.  So The Haunted Mask plays a big part in my love for reading horror.  It was the first Goosebumps book I read.  I was staying at my cousins' house while their parents were off on a trip.  My grandma and aunt were looking after them, I was bored but loved roaming about their huge house and caught sight of this book with a gruesome mask on the cover.  I nabbed it and started reading.  Unfortunately my cousin found me reading it and took it off me.  By then I'd read a few chapters and was completely in love with the story so my gran took me to the shops to get my own copy.  After a few years I had a pretty large collection of Goosebumps.   It was pure entertainment for me and got me writing in the first place. 


4 comments:

  1. OMG I totally grew up learning to read Goosebumps! I had all of them (at the time) and I even watched the movies when they came out years later. Wow I still remember this book and some of the others like I read them just last year and not...well too long ago to count.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm intrigued to read one of these, just to see how horror is written for that age group. I generally didn't read horror growing up... generally speaking... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These were a big hit when I was in elementary school, but I never read them. I was very senstitive and easily frightened as a child, so I think I just decided they weren't for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recommend them if you haven't read any. :) As an adult now they won't be terrifying like horror is for older audiences but they're fun to read. There's no gore or anything. Stine was all about the bizarre and creepy. A little cheesy too. Some things do creep me still like that haunted mask and Slappy but it was a fun part of being a 90s child. :)

    Eve, I remember the films! I watched them religiously! That and Are You Afraid of the Dark were my favourites as a kid. TV was awesome in the 90s. :)

    ReplyDelete