Social Icons

11 Apr 2012

RTW - One town

Road Trip Wednesday is a "Blog Carnival," where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question and answer it on our own blogs. You can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.



This Week's Topic:
What images inspire/ represent your WIP or favourite book?

I'll go with my current WiP Beast Inside and show you some photos around Leeds that I've based the setting on. In the WiP Norton is a fictional West Yorkshire town, close to the city centre and I've based it a lot on Horsforth where I lived during university. Yet another place that I'm absolutely in love with purely because of the village feel it has. It still has most of the old houses that have been there when it was known as a village, all built with Yorkshire stone. 

Norton shares similar features to Horsforth.  It has a small Town Street where locals have the necessary supermarket, opticians, restaurants, pubs, charity shops, pharmacy etc and a couple of expensive clothes and gift shops.  There's a local museum where Caleb and Luca's mother works and only one high school and two primary schools; the high school is where their father works as a modern languages teacher.  Like Horsforth it's a former village that expanded and became known as a suburban town with bus routes going directly into the city centre and a small train station going straight to other towns around Yorkshire and also travelling to the city centre and city of York.

Town Street
Horsforth Station
There's a small woodland in Norton near where it enters the countryside.  These pictures inspired the attack on Caleb while he's walking the family dog with his friend, Josh.



And I have no idea what this is from but this is exactly what I want Caleb to look like when he's goes all undead and fanged up:


And Danny Glick's a big influence on the undead appearance too:


And there you go. :) A few pictures that inspired setting, scenes and Caleb Corelli as a pesky bloodsucker.  What has inspired your WiP?

15 comments:

  1. The images of the village are *exactly* my mental image of Yorkshire villages ^^; And I loooooove those woodland scenes :) Quite an interesting setting for the undead to crop up in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the forest pics. And small village vibes are awesome. I'd like to read this WIP one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Cole, I have a habit of setting WiPs in villages/small towns, especially if it's a horror WiP. I think deep down I like destroying ideal country villages with supernatural pests. Mwahahaha!

    Thank you, Xan. :) Fingers crossed that I actually get it finished this year. I'm taking too long on the editing with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha wow I love them. It starts all quaint and beautiful scenery then creepy zombie lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are amazing. I especially love the second woodland photo. The colors are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was at university in Hull, we use to drive out to some of the outlying villages. Beverly was a favorite among the students, and there was a lovely pub out in Skidby. Perhaps it's just a consequence of getting older, but I've thought that if I were ever to move back to the UK, I would want to live in a little village where you are within walking distance of everything you need. Great pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha don't be fooled by the picturesque village. The bloody undead are lurking around! No shame these days!

    Colin, I'm with you on living in a village. I liked Horsforth because it felt like a village but it was close to things I needed and a ten minute bus ride into town. It was still quite large to not make me feel like I was in the middle of nowhere.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the orange/red leaves on that pic!
    Oh, zombies is it? Quite interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vampires :) I know I'm going into risky turf with them but I really wanted to write the story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That village looks beautiful. I've never spent any time in a place like that, but it sounds lovely. I often say that the one thing I dislike about where I live is that I have to drive to everything. I feel like I experience so much more of a place, of everything around me, when I'm on foot instead.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the pics of the village. Makes me wish I could visit or even live there :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a soft spot for villages--we live in the equivalent now, but in the Sierra foothills. We're a short ways away from all the shopping, can walk to the community center, etc but it feels like you're out in the country.

    But I think you're right that even if you're content living in a small place, that doesn't keep your mind from creating dramas to stir things up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the snowy woodland picture. Peaceful yet a little spooky. Great set of images!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh! Those last two pictures are FREAKY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you all like the pictures! :) Thanks for the comments.

    ReplyDelete