Social Icons

29 Apr 2012

News to Novels #15

Really sorry I didn't get round to News to Novels last Sunday.  That weekend left me with a terrible flu - dizzy spells, shivering and sweating at the same time.  Eurgh.  Wasn't any fun and I couldn't get off my arse to do a single thing. 

This week I've found some insane articles on a new fashion trend that seems to be picking up.  I was reading them and thinking how crazy it would be if this was actually the way fashion is going.  If you've read The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins the Capitol have a ridiculous taste in fashion trends with powered faces and dyed skin and hair.  It looks bizarre yet I could really see the fashion obsessed heading that way.  So if you're writing about the future and want some ideas for fashion and culture these articles may be of interest.  Or at least very amusing to read about. :)

The truth about THAT 15-year-old human Barbie from South London who (with her mother's approval) has become a disturbing internet phenomenon
Porcelain pale, her enormous sky-blue eyes are framed by thick, dark lashes, and her mouth is as perfect as a rosebud.  Her hair has been styled into tousled blonde bunches, which hang coquettishly either side of the ruffled collar of her Victoriana blouse.  You could be forgiven for thinking you are looking at a life-size china figurine. But Venus is a living, breathing 15-year-old girl, who chooses to style herself as a ‘living doll’.
Meet the real-life Barbies: Internet craze sees teenagers turn themselves into freakish living dolls
Young girls are fast becoming internet sensations not because of their vocal skills or dance moves, but because they resemble living dolls.  Staring doe-eyed at the camera, with cupids bow lips and a porcelain complexion Dakota Rose has been hailed a real-life Barbie.  Known to her fans as Kota Koti, she has amassed a global audience with her YouTube fashion and beauty tutorials.

21-year-old 'Real-life Barbie doll' seeks international fame... But does she even exist?Most little girls grow up playing with Barbie dolls. Some even want to look like them. One 21-year-old has become one, or so she says.  Valeria Lukyanova has become an internet sensation in her home country of Russia, claiming on her blog to be the most famed woman on the Russian-language internet.  Her doll-like features, long blonde hair and ‘perfect’ body make her look like a real life Barbie.

Millions of little girls across the world are smitten with Disney's beautiful princesses.  From Sleeping Beauty to Princess Jasmine and Belle, the images of these animated beauties, with their flaxen-haired, full lips and impossible proportions, have become iconic thanks to the popularity of the Disney films in which they star.  And now, thanks to the skill of U.S. photographer and Disney character artist Ryan Astamendi, their beauty has been brought to life.

Creepy, huh? Can you imagine all the girls of the future walking around like this?

What has inspired you in the news this week?

8 comments:

  1. Uuuuuuuuuuuuugh. All of that is proof that little girls and young women need way better role models than princesses and modern day Barbie. What happened to the Barbie who could be a doctor or an astronaut?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a coincidence - I just saw the article about the Russian barbie doll a day or so ago! I didn´t realize that there more of them though and that it seems to have become a "trend". It is really disturbing, especially for girls who are underage. I will never understand parents who support something like this... But you are right, for a futuristic novel this would be a great idea! Pity I write more historical fantasy where this is unlikely to take place. Or maybe that is a good thing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. *shudders* It's too creepy. I played with Barbie when I was younger and loved Disney films but as I grew older I looked up to other women as idols. Women who were actually real and had talent and careers.

    There was an obsession with Disney princesses back in my high school. No-one was trying to dress like them or a doll but I remember a group of girls had nicknamed themselves after a Disney princess and bought merchandise of their chosen princess. The start of a very strange teenage trend... *cue ominous music*

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Disney ones don't bug me as much as the barbie ones do. That first pic really does look like a doll.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Sagelikethespice.
    The Disney ones are kinda fun compared to the others ...

    Hey, I noticed you like to check-in on your progress every week ... so what about "joining" a group of writers that do that ... we check-in every week on Sundays (some do too on Wed) and we support each other. We even do sprints on Twitter.
    Here's the link: http://aroundofwordsin80days.wordpress.com/blog/
    You can join in anytime, no need to wait for another round.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ya... some of that is very creepy. I do like the Disney ones though :)

    Oh fashion... whatever happens I'm sure it will be interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really creepy. I'd read about that one from Russia a week or so ago, but I hadn't seen the others.

    It's totally like Scott Westerfeld's THE UGLIES coming to real life!

    (New Follower BTW) =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooo thanks Carissa! :D Must get my hands on Scott Westerfeld's books. They always sound so interesting.

    Don't think I could follow this fashion if it actually did become the next big thing in clothes and beauty. I might have to be the odd one out on the streets.

    Thanks for the link Juliana! That could be just what I need for finishing off my editing. :)

    ReplyDelete