Social Icons

21 Mar 2012

RTW: Just one single moment...

Road Trip Wednesday is a "Blog Carnival," where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question and answer it on our own blogs. You can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.
This Week's Topic:
A long-awaited kiss, a surprise ending, a character's sudden decision… these are the moments that make us smile, gasp, and LOVE a book for the rest of our lives.

What is your favorite literary moment?
This may sound weird but when I think about my favourite literary moment I turn to the death of one of my favourite characters.  When I was a teenager I adored reading The Saga of Darren Shan.  Darren Shan was the author who really inspired me.  At the time of reading I was absolutely devastated but looking back I really respect Shan's decision.

**************spoiler alert**************



In Killers of the Dawn we saw Mr Crepsley fall to his death.  By that book he had become a close friend, mentor, and father figure to Darren.  Such an awesome character and one of my favourites.  I was completely shaken.  I reread it over and over again because my naive little mind was thinking that was it was impossible for such an important character to just die like that and so suddenly.  My fourteen year old self was not impressed and quite hurt.  I was quite emotionally attached to Shan's characters. 

Now, looking back I just think I respect and admire Darren Shan so much.  I see how well he created characters, getting me to feel just as much hurt that the MC Darren felt.  And this is for someone who isn't even feel.  Kudos, Shan.  And what I also admire is that he wasn't afraid to really mess with his characters.  I love that in an author.  No one is safe, even the MCs.  I aim to be that kind of writer.  Main characters... don't guarantee that you'll survive one of my stories. 

So now I consider the death of Mr Crepsley one of my favourite literary moments.  It shocked me but it just shows you how good a novel and character it was.  If it can spark some emotional reaction in you, the author has done his/her job in bringing a character to life and getting you to feel for them, whether it's negatively or positively.

2 comments:

  1. You have to respect (even if grudgingly) authors who will make unpopular decisions for the sake of the story. JK Rowling did it all the time with Harry Potter, and I've seen other authors do the same. A strange (for me) example that comes to mind is Stephen King in UNDER THE DOME. For the sake of spoilers, let's just say there were some character deaths there that I was horrified at, but I respect King's willingness to do that for the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read this book, and I even though I hate when authors kill of characters I like, I have to agree with Colin. Great post :D

    ReplyDelete