Social Icons

7 Mar 2012

RTW: Story of my Life

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.

This Week's Topic:
NAME THIS LIFE: What would your memoir be called?

I think the title 'Well, This Wasn't Planned' really fits my life so far.  I've always been the type to have a plan.  I plotted out every detail of my life from being a young girl.  I knew what career I wanted to do.  I knew where I wanted to live.  Well, some things ended up exactly like I planned.  I got a short story into an anthology and got published for the first time.  I went to a university in Leeds, the destination I had my eyes on since GSCEs.

But that's pretty much it. 

What I never planned out:

1) Studying English and Writing.  For a while I had my heart set on studying Journalism at LTUC.  I ended up finding out more about their English and Creative Course and instead went for that. 

2) Calling my closest friends in high school former friends after slowly realising they didn't want to know anymore.  I'm still in touch with one friend who will always remain close and that's enough for me. :)

3) How hard it would be to find a job after graduation and staying up at night worrying that I'll never get anywhere. 

4) That journalism is actually not the career for me. 

5) That teaching of all things became my new goal and my calling.  If you had known me as a teenager I would have gone cold at the thought of working in education.  I can't see myself in any other job now.

6) That I would end up graduating with the most amazing guy I've ever met and living with him and our cat in a flat of our own.

7) I was sure the grunge Rock'N'Roll look was forever.  I didn't expect the girly girl in me to appear and start giving me a taste for more feminine attire, chick flicks, make-up, and a love for the Body Shop.

11 comments:

  1. It's amazing how much we change from our teenage selves. And it's funny how similar our experiences are! I'm still working on the whole career thing though :P I enjoy working in a school, but I'm not sure it's forever yet.

    Indecisive. THAT should've been the title of my memoir!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a really good title and concept for a memoir. The structure almost writes itself: the things I planned growing up, and the way things turned out. On that you can hang all your anecdotes and wisdom. Excellent! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that is cool. I love it. That is true hardly nothing in life turns out just how you plan it. To me that's the fun though. Haha on the grunge rock.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha. That would totally be the title of my memoir too.

    Or, 'Jack of all Trades, Master of None.' haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL - I remember the grunge look - I have to say, I'm thrilled it's over! I like the pretty stuff better, but I do miss how comfortable flannels and baggy jeans were!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Colin's right, this memoir is already sounding great. And I can really relate on things not going to plan.... but working out right, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great title for a memoir, and I can totally relate. In fact, that pretty much sums up my life as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww :D I´d read that book! :D
    Life certainly does not follow a straight path but the ride is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stumbled here from YA Highway - we sound like we could be twins! :) Like you, I ended up teaching somehow, and it's been a blast but certainly NOT what I had planned!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it. Great titles. :) (My life is somewhat the same, too. Definitely not what I expected, but I'm glad it went in this direction.)

    ReplyDelete