Social Icons

14 Mar 2012

Road Trip for Road Trip Wednesday

Welcome to our 121st Road Trip Wednesday!
Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.

This Week's Topic:
In honor of the release of Kirsten's WANDERLOVE yesterday--which is amazing, by the way; get yourselves to a bookstore if you haven't!--we bring you a travel-themed RTW prompt today! If you could wander anywhere in the world, where would it be, and why?


I'll just post the same answer I gave on YA Highway for Kirsten's giveaway.

When my aunt was in her twenties and had just finished university, she got her friends, tents, money, and sleeping bags together, packed them into her car and drove off to Europe to travel all the way to Italy.  She kept stopping at different places in different countries to stop and look at the sights.  At night she camped out in fields with her fellow travellers.  She had planned to take lots of music with her but ended up forgetting all of them except one: The Best Of The Mamas And The Papas. So for all the time she spent driving to Italy and back she listened to just that.  Now she always associate the album with her trip to Italy.

So my goal is do the same one day.  I want my boyfriend, close friends, tents, sleeping bags, money and a car.  And I want to drive through Europe taking in the sights she saw and visiting them, seeing how different it is doing so in the 21st century.  I'll try remember to take more music but not too many.  Just enough to be able to associate particular songs with special trips.  Everywhere I've travelled I've always had music with me and afterwards also associated that song with the trip I've been on.  It's part of my memories.  And any songs that I listen to on the trip would be burnt onto a CD.  I'd make a mix of songs from my Italy trip to keep listening to in the future.  I think The Mamas and The Papas would have to be on there somewhere. :)

And when I get to Italy I'm eating all the Italian food I can manage.  That would be heaven for me!

And if I could travel in this I'd be made up:

It's so prettyful! I want one!


Where would you love to travel? 

12 comments:

  1. Oh, that sounds like a wonderful trip...and one filled with true wanderlove. I'd love to go to Italy, too. The food, mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool. My uncle took a similar trip - hitchhiking around Europe. My parents also toured the US in a VW van. Love the freedom of that kind of traveling. No schedules, no trains to make, just doing it at your own pace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the food! I'm such a fan of Italian. I could seriously eat it all the time.

    I'm hoping that I'll get the chance to do this. I'd totally document everything. Photos, videos, a travel journal. Just so I could remember everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the things I wish I'd done when I was at University was to travel. I was at Hull (north east coast of England, for those that don't know), and there were always deals for students to take the ferry over to Holland. Did I ever go? No! *slaps head*

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I almost went to Hull! It was one of the universities I applied for. I'm in the same boat as you, I wish I had taken advantage of the long summer holidays and travelled. The only travelling I did during uni was to Bramham Park for the Leeds Festival. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  6. That would be so much fun! My grandpa has tons of pictures from when he took my mom and all his other kids camping around Europe. They lived in the Netherlands and drove all over the place on breaks and weekends. I get so jealous, lol. My mom was around 15 or so, and she really loved it, but there were four other siblings with her, so I think she was just annoyed most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. VW Type-II!!! My dream vehicle! I wanna drive from New York to San Fran in one of those painted all bright with hippie flowers, meandering through as many states as possible. I dream...

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great way to travel! I'd want some Elvis thrown in to the mix, but bring on the VW! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that sounds like an awesome trip to me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your post brought back so many memories for me! I have to admit I've never been a tents and sleeping under the stars kind of girl, but it's out of the question now being in my forties. (I need a real bathroom!) Even when I went on road trips with my friends, I couldn't wait to get back to my apartment and be by myself. I enjoy traveling alone, to be honest, and I feel like I see so much more when I'm by myself. I notice more of the little nuances of a place -- maybe it's simply out of boredom from not having friends with me to talk to. I always wished I could be the type of person that could backpack across Europe, but that's not me. I did travel in a VW van for a short time, and, oh, how car sick I got! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, that sounds like fun! Though, as a spoiled traveller, I'll leave the camping to you! I have to try the music trick for the next time that I travel... so much easier to bring back than food!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a lot of fun! :D I love when a song comes up and reminds me of a particular moment/place/person :D
    Italian food, hmmm, I love it too! and the Italian way of life just seems to be a bit different (according to my Italian friends :D)

    ReplyDelete