Social Icons

25 Mar 2012

News to Novels #11

I was thinking of changing this feature a little bit because I'm finding more things in newspapers and online that I think could be used for inspiration.  Maybe an article isn't right but the pictures used spark something or the person involved in the article inspires a character.  The first thing I'm changing is the day I post on.  Instead of Saturday I'll post on Sunday as an end of the week post. 
I was thinking of trying to make themes for each post.  Find articles that are similar and then add on photos and characters that match.  So it's not necessarily just news now but also pictures and people that I come across. 

This week I found a couple of posts about the past:

The year of vengeance: How neighbours turned on each other and anarchy erupted in the aftermath of WWII

Perfect in 1976
A biscuit company this week announced that 1976 was the best year to be a child, and everyone's talked about nothing else since then. 

I've yet to read the book but one of my favourite films is Stand By Me.  I was really interested in the coming-of-age story and the nostalgia about it.  We all think back to our childhood and remember the good times.   For me, being a child in the 90s was amazing.  We had cheesy music but it was fun to dance to.  I remember getting up early on Saturdays to catch my favourite programmes.  I was glued to the screen watching Are You Afraid of the Dark? and Power Rangers.  I loved SM TV live and dancing to Steps and S Club 7.  Films like Hercules, Toy Story, and Jumanji were being released and their 20th anniversaries were far away in the future.  I was carrying around a Walkman to listen to music and at school I was running around pretending to be a power ranger or a Pokemon trainer. 

So what was life like in the 70s or the 40s? Was it really ideal in 1976 and how terrifying was it to be a young German in post-WW2 Europe? I'd love to see more coming-of-age MG/YA books set in the past, showing the highs and lows.  The ideal times and the hard ones.  Good memories, bad memories. 

2 comments:

  1. SMTV:Live was the best Saturday morning show of all time.

    The thing about childhood nostalgia is we all think our childhoods were the best. Look at what kids today have compared to when we were there age. I wouldn't have minded an iPad! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha you should hear what the children in my class say they have. They have Xbox, playstation 3, nintendo ds, wii. I mean, bloody hell! What does a five year old need a wii for?

    I don't envy their television though. 90s were the best for children's tv. Then again, like you said, I'm going to be biased. :D

    But I'd love to hear everyone's stories from any era and I'd want to hear everything. The good, the bad, and the ugly. :)

    ReplyDelete