Social Icons

15 Feb 2012

RTW: Word Vomit

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question and answer it on our own blogs. You can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.

This Week's Topic:
What words do you absolutely hate? Which ones do you adore?

I can think of two words that I've never liked.  Belly and babe.  Why? I'm not exactly sure but I know I've always hated the way it sounds as a word.  I like the words stomach and tummy but never belly.  As for babe - well I now have another reason why I can't stand them.  I've just made the mistake of telling my boyfriend this and he's currently a broken record saying "belly babe" to me over and over again. 
But prior to this, I've just never liked being called babe or calling others babe.  It sounds childish to me and never personal.  I like pet names that mean something to the person.  Like my family's habit of calling me noodles when I was a child (although I don't really know how that nickname came about - they foresaw my love of Chinese food perhaps??) and my boyfriend's tendency to call me silly bear.

One word I do like is dilemma.  It has a nice ring to it and it sounds more sophisticated than problem.  A couple of others are fantastical, otherworldly and whimsical.  They sound fun and strong as describing words.  And I've also realised I like saying the word "lovely" a lot.

13 comments:

  1. I've never liked being called "Babe" either. And I do love whimsical. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely is lovely. I say that a lot, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dilemma is an AWESOME word--I just have a rough time spelling it for some reason. In fact, I had to scroll up to your post to make sure I was correct. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, babe is terrible lol
    And dilemma has a nice sound ;)
    Though I'm not sure about whimsical.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both "belly" and "tummy" sound childish to me. And I only ever call my wife "babe" in jest. It sounds so sleezy (ooo... there's a good word--I like onomatopoeias) I would never use it seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whimsical is a good word :)

    And I totally use babe with my husband. We have chintzy nicknames too, but sometimes babe just comes out. It can't be helped.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooo, 'dilemma' and 'whimsical' are both good words. As for 'belly'--I came across a YA book recently that sounded really interesting except the MC's name (a girl) was Belly. Say what? Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all your comments! I love the lists everyone has put together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, babe/bird/chick are not nice.

    Belly doesn't bother me, but I wouldn't use it in a book unless a very young child said it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the words. Dilemma is good it leaves a lot to think about. Yeah babe I tend to try and avoid using it because it is too impersonal unless that's what i'm going for ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hate babe, too. And fantastical and whimsical are nice ones =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh, I love otherworldly and whimsical! Great word choices! =)

    ReplyDelete