Social Icons

8 Feb 2012

RTW: Snap!

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question and answer it on our own blogs. You can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.

This Week's Topic:

What SNI were you psyched to work on, but discovered it was too close to something already done?
 
I remember being so pysched about an idea I had years back.  It was another vampire W.I.P where there was a community completed ruled and plagued by vampires.  There were curfew laws, a council of vampires, and a team of rogues who were starting a revolution.  Yeah, bad ideas but I was fifteen and had lots of improvement ahead of me.  Then I finally got hold of Buffy season 3 (I was too young too start watching it when series 3 premiered) and caught The Wish episode.  The community of Sunnydale was very similar to what I wanted for my idea.  Worried that it would just be seen as a copy cat so I chucked it.  The idea still springs to mind now and again.  Maybe I can tweak it in the future but for now it's just an old idea that didn't go anywhere.

9 comments:

  1. Ooooh Buffy. Such a great show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I tend to think story ideas should not be held up against TV and movies so much, since ideas are so different on the page vs. the screen, Buffy is such a classic that it would be a tough show to beat...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vampires have been a hot topic for a very long time! I guess it really just depends on when you strike with your MS in the market. Right now vampires are losing steam, I think, but in a few years they might pick back up again.

    I wouldn't totally give up on your idea. Maybe gather more ideas to join it and see what you come up with?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Buffy! And I don't think that the one episode would make a big difference for you novel. However, at this point, you'd have to wait around for vampires to be saleable again, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For those of us who never watched Buffy (please don't hate me for it), I would've never known. But I know the compelling feeling of scrapping something and starting anew. You have to go with that gut intuition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would say don't ditch the idea completely. You could probably still use it someday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Crystal, It's funny you mention about the difference because it's always been the complete opposite for me. If I've talked about story ideas before people have always pointed out a tv show or a film that's very similar, rather than a book.

    And the idea is still safely tucked away in a folder. I threw it aside but never buried it. Who knows if I'll come across something to use it in? I'm hoping so because there were a few characters and plot ideas that I really liked.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just so you know, for now, the vampire thing is OVER.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awwww Buffy! Loved that show - still love it :D
    If ideas keep on lurking, write them down and maybe one day this will be the story you will tell :D

    ReplyDelete