Social Icons

1 Feb 2012

RTW: The best of January

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.

This Week's Topic:  
What was the best book you read in January?
 

This is where I raise a guilty hand and say that I haven't actually done much reading in January.  I see people who speed through books but I've always been a slow reader.  If I read fast I miss out on important parts or skip a section that leaves me confused later on. 
But so far of what I have read I did love Break (Review here) by Hannah Moskowitz.  Lately I've been having trouble picking up a YA book because nothing has really appealed to me that much.  I was worried I was changing and YA was too young for me now.  That it wasn't what I was interested in anymore.  And how can I write for a genre I stopped reading about? Those worries have been going through my head for a while now.  But Break reminded me that I do still love YA, I do love reading about teenagers and there are still books out there that are my kind of thing.  The book was psychological with teenagers going through a lot of shit and the adults responding with 'is this because you don't get enough attention?'.  Boy, did that reasoning send me back to my teens.  Where it seems like adults dismiss you as crazy with nothing really important to say because why should something affect you badly like this? Yeah, I could sympathise with Jonah and this brought me back to why I love YA and why I've kept reading it, even into my twenties.  As I get older I move further away from my teens and books like Break remind me about what it was like to be a teenager.  It can be a pretty dramatic time but I need to remember something like that when I write YA or in the future if I ever have children of my own who will go through those tormenting and confusing years.  So that's why Break makes my best book of January.  Because it helps me to remember.

10 comments:

  1. I haven't read BREAK. Maybe it's a good research book for what it's like to be a teenager (I haven't been one for a while). I love YA, so I'm immersed in 'teen' a lot :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, BREAK sounds DARK! I think I'd love it. You should check my RTW. I have a long list of books that I think you'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate---sometimes you have to take a break from YA before every title blurs together. But I'm glad you found the book to bring you back to it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're never too old for YA, says the guy with six kids, two of which are YA teens, and one who just became an adult, but still reads YA. :) There are plenty of great YA books out there. One of the great things about RTW, as I'm sure you appreciate, is discovering new YA books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had read your review of Break and thought it´d must be an amazing read :D No wonder you picked it as your January book :-)
    I truly love reading YA but I also try to branch out from times to times :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jaime, it's very good for getting into the mind of a teenager dealing with very extreme issues. How he chooses to deal with it... how he tries to make his actions sound reasonable... it's just a really interesting book. And Gabrielle, I recommend it. Add it to you TBR list!

    Sarah, I'm glad I'm not the only one. :)

    Colin, I've got some great recommendations from everyone's answers. Like that series by Scott Westerfeld you talked about. Really want to check out those. It's been a great topic this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elodie, I need to do the same :) After a while reading all YA gets a little monotonous.

    Although I have found some amazing YA reads to track down this year so I think I'll be having some YA marathons! I must have been looking at the teen shelves around a time when there was a genre trend I wasn't a fan of.

    ReplyDelete
  8. BREAK sounds really interesting--thanks for the rec! I totally relate to your momentary fall out of love with YA. That happened to me recently. I was reading a lot of different YA, and not much of it was resonating with me anymore. I worried that I was too old for the genre, or if I just couldn't relate to teen angst anymore. For me, it was Stephanie Perkins who drew me back in, but sometimes it's nice to take a break from YA and read adult books with conflicts and situations that more closely mirror your own life for a bit :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fellow guilty hand right here. ;) I'm not a terribly fast reader either, and I'm just so busy though I know that's not supposed to be a legitimate excuse...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think a lot of people forget what it was like to be a child or teenager as they grow older. YA readers and writers are able to inhabit that state again!

    ReplyDelete