Social Icons

4 Jan 2012

RTW: Writing Retreat

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.

This Week's Topic

Describe your dream writing retreat. Where would you go? Who and what would you bring?

 

My first thought went to Italy or France.  A nice little villa near the beach where it's warm and sunny.  But then if I went somewhere like that I'd be out all the time, finding my way back to Paris or pigging out on Italian food.  No writing would be done at all. 

I thought about lakeside lodges.  A little cabin overlooking a lake like those I've seen in Secret Window and The Lake House.  Somewhere quiet where I couldn't get internet access otherwise I'd procrastinate and have peace to write but also not too far away from civilisation so I can still have trips to the pub for food and drink. 

I've always liked the idea of being in a lake house.  There's something peaceful about waking up and seeing a lake flowing next to your cabin. And wouldn't it be nice to sit on the pier and have a BBQ?

I keep talking about barbecues and pub trips during this writing retreat.  Writing would happen! Honest!

This Lakeside Lodge would be perfect.  The view looks fantastic.  Expensive price but I'd save up for it for the summer.  I'd bring my notes, research, netbook and my kindle.  My boyfriend's also invited himself along for writing.  I'd pack a few DVDs as well to watch on a night but not a lot to avoid distraction. 

9 comments:

  1. Mine ought to be a bricked in room, no windows, and nothing but an old typewriter. Yours is nicer. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree--I would love to have a retreat somewhere gorgeous and European, but there would be NO writing at all, haha... I think cabins/lake houses are where it's at. Perfect choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with you on this. I'd be SO distracted in places like you mentioned. A place by the lake would be perfect, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh a lakeside retreat! How romantic! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks really nice. As others have said, I'm not sure how much writing I would end up doing, but it would certainly make for a pleasant get-away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I chose an ocean-side retreat, but I would definitely settle for an lakeside one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've tried the lake thing before, and I got nothing done! Haha! I just couldn't stay away from the water. There's just something about large bodies of water that make me sleepy and all I want to do is go for a swim and then fall asleep on a pier or on the sand. :) But it sure does sound nice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I find nature more inspiring than anything else. That's why I would go to Switzerland. This reminds me a bit of some of the lakes around Kentucky (tho most of ours you can't build within a certain distance from the shore)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stephen, I like your taste! I love typewriters although I make too many mistakes on them. The perfectionist in me doesn't like seeing errors on the page.

    Having a lake or ocean nearby does seem to be quite popular as a writing retreat. I think it's the general tranquility about the area. It's not a noisy city or a somehwere new like New York or Paris where you're more interested in seeing famous sights for the first time.

    ReplyDelete