Social Icons

25 Jan 2012

RTW: Meeting Up

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.

This Week's Topic:  
Write a dialogue between two of your favorite YA characters
 
***Warning: Spoilers***
 
This one was fun to do.  I choose Julian from The Forbidden Game trilogy by L.J Smith and Simon from The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare.  Both boys haven't had a great time in their books with dying, being rejected, and going through changes in personality that really ruined their lives.  I thought it would be fun to take their bad luck and make it slightly humourous as they rant about their roles and where it's led them. 
 
If you want to read more about the books here's the wiki pages for The Mortal Instruments and The Forbidden Game.
 
The Trouble with Genres and Girls
The two had made an unlikely friendship.  They sat in the corner of a bar, sipping their drinks and turning their eyes away every time a girl walked past and did a double take.  The girls saw gorgeous.  The boys saw trouble.
“Not even going there,” Simon muttered.
Julian sniffed and a scowl formed on his face as another girl walked past.  She was with a friend who stayed glued to her phone, fingers dancing around the buttons on it.  The girl glanced once and back to her friend.  Then again, staring straight into Julian’s eyes.  He turned his nose up and shook his head at her. 
“I become a rat.  I’m humiliated in front of everyone thanks to faeries.  Then I die.  I become a damn vampire…” Simon muttered, staring into his drink.
Julian sat back. “Well, I just died.  At least you got to come back.  I sacrificed myself and that’s it.  She just waltzes off back into the arms of her jock boyfriend.  And he’s completely forgiven of mistreating her.  I’m still the bad guy who’s finally dead and out of everyone’s way. “
“Well, she thought they were brother and sister.  And she still had feelings! For this prejudice asshole who she had only just met.  Best friends don’t mean anything, you know.  Not with these girls and this genre.”
“You give up everything for them and this is the thanks you get,” Julian sighed.  He tapped his fingers against the table.  Another girl walked past and actually stopped to gawp at them.  Simon and Julian turned, lips forming into a scowl but their unfriendly faces didn’t do anything to stop the redness appearing in her cheeks.
Julian’s tone was clipped but quiet. “Sorry, not interested.”
The girl opened and closed her mouth like a goldfish, still staring at the two boys, and finally she ducked her head and rushed off. 
“It’s not worth the risk,” Simon said.
Julian nodded. “Of course not.  With Jenny, I died.  The next one could get me locked up and castrated.”
“I need a change of genre,” Simon said. “Maybe thriller.  Or some comedy.  This PR business is making me completely depressed at the moment.”
“I’m thinking of going slasher. I heard the killers never die and the death rate is very good,” Julian said. “PR is not satisfying me either.  The working conditions are so poor.” He checked his watch again. “The others should be arriving now.  We’ll be able to sort out the complaint properly soon.  And get this game finally started.”
“Now, promise me this,” Simon said. “This isn’t one of your funny games is it? I don’t want to be sucked into one of your freaky Norse worlds where my life is in danger.”
Julian sighed. “I’m deceased remember? My career with the Shadow Men is over.  I lost my precious Game when I lost my life.”
Simon shook his head. “Fucking women.”
Julian raised his glass. “Hear, hear.” He downed the rest of his drink and got his cloak ready. “But I am still charge of any games that we do.”
Simon rolled his eyes. "You know, you'll have to let someone else be Dungeon Master sometime."

7 comments:

  1. I LOVE this! My favorite line: "Best friends don’t mean anything, you know. Not with these girls and this genre.” HA HA HA HA. I love how they're actually characters in this story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me laugh! "Best friends don’t mean anything, you know. Not with these girls and this genre." :D Great job, Robin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVED this!!! :D
    Wonderful, witty and funny!
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys! Had a lot of fun writing this. I think this has been my favourite RTW topic so far. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even though I haven't read either of these, I loved this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job! You really nailed Simon.

    ReplyDelete