Social Icons

7 Dec 2011

RTW - How Far Would You Go?

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question and answer it on our own blogs. You can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.

This Week's Topic:
How far would you go to get published?
 
So how far would I go to get a book published? I know for definite that I would not give into a trend, changing the genre or writing a plot that is popular.  I'll use my NaNo project as an example.  Now, it probably looks bad because it's about vampires.  Honestly, I'm not jumping on the vampire band wagon.  I just wanted to write about a folkloric creature that has fascinated me since I was a young girl.  But I would refuse to change the lore I put in, how they look, how they transform etc.  If I'd get asked to make the vampire sexy, less corpse-like, and bring in a LI I'd say no. 
 
It depends on revisions.  Like I said, if they wanted me to change the entire atmosphere of the story I'd do my best to fight for the horror genre and keep it that way.  But if there were suggestions such as working on a character or adding/taking out a scene I'll work on it with them and see whether or not it'll improve the story.  I'm always willing to take on suggestions.  But not on changing genre. 

6 comments:

  1. yeah, it's a tough question. as for changing genre? I think I'd do that, IF it still kept the main theme of the book. Like I wrote a dystopian that is not hugely dystopian. Someone could suggest I edit a few things to make it spec-fic or general sci-fi instead and I would be ok with that. But going from dystopian to paranormal romance would be a huge leap that I wouldn't make...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been chewing on a possible vampire story--nothing plotted or anything, just an idea. Am I going to base my decision to write it on trends? Heck no! I wouldn't change genres just because it'd sell better. But I might consider it if it would make the story better, or if I could write better stories for that genre.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always had a fascination with vampires as well... And vampires may be overdone, but I don't think there's been as much done with SCARY vamps that want to kill the MC instead of make creepy vamp/human hybrid babies with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crystal's comment made me laugh! I've always been fascinated by the sexy vampire (if I can get over the whole necrophilia thing), but as a separate entity from the scary vampires. I think there's a place for both, but it's become almost taboo not to make a vampire sexy or campy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vampires...I have been fascinated with them since I saw "Interview with a vampire" at the age of 13 (scared me a tad I have to say :-))
    For me switching genre would depend, I enjoy reading so many types of books and tried my hand at several types of genre that I may or may not decide to go for it. The only thing I need to be sure about though is that I can stand by the story I write.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to meet fellow vampire fans! I agree with the lack of scary vamps now. There's not much going on with them at the mo so it would be nice to see some true horror stories involving them as the villains. It'd be a nice change.

    Changing genre just for a trend wouldn't seem like it was there to help the book. It would feel like it was all about the money and not the story, which wouldn't be fair to the author who has the passion for the book.

    Thanks for the comments, guys!

    ReplyDelete