Social Icons

21 Dec 2011

RTW - Book Buys

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.




This Week's Topic:
Where do you buy most of your books? No one is judging!



Unfortunately in my town there aren't many places to turn to for books.  We used to have a huge Borders that I'd have to be dragged out of because I spent so much time in there.  I could always rely on Borders to have what I was looking for.  But now that's closed I go to Waterstones, the only proper book store in the city centre where I get most of my buys from.  It's three floors of book paradise with a Costa Coffee inside and have a section dedicated to Stephen King books.  How awesome!

But I also love looking at the book stall in the city Market where I go crazy on bargain books.  I got Dracula the Undead for £1.50 straight after it's release.  When you're on a budget head to a market!

And if I'm really low on cash, the boyfriend is usually a good source to borrow from. His bookcase is full of sci-fi and fantasy and also has most of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels.  He's my personal library!

9 comments:

  1. I wish my boyfriend was a reader. I'm trying, but it's not working. Instead I borrow from my mom.

    "Three floors of book paradise" is amazing. I'm jealous :)

    New follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hubby does not read. Ok he does read but mainly non fiction or chemical engineering related books.

    Whenever I go back home, I roam through some of my old books and check out what my parents have :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy Terry Pratchett. My brother sent me the first couple of books from the UK, and I've been collecting ever since. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! Your boyfriend likes to read too! My husband hates it lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love my local Waterstones too. Ours is four floors of book heaven ^_^ But I'd go back to Borders in a heartbeat if it still existed ;_;

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband is a Terry Pratchett fan too =) I love bookstores with coffee shops in them too. I could spend hours upon hours in that type of shop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have to thank my boyfriend for Terry Pratchett. If it wasn't for his collection I don't think I would have been introduced to him. So glad I was! I love his humour. He inspired my third year research report at university. :)

    I wish I had family members to borrow books from like most of you can do. I don't come from a huge book loving family so I can't go visiting to rummage through their book collections.

    Miss Cole... four floors? That sounds wonderful! I'd go back to Borders too if it came back. It was always the most reliable and the one that was near me also had a huge Paperchase inside as well. Perfect!

    Jaime, all bookstores should have a coffee shop. It's just nice to buy a book, go upstairs and get a coffee. Just sit and read, surrounded complete by bookshelves. It's always a nice end to a day in town or when you meet a friend. Less busy too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds like an awesome bookstore! And like a lot of the other commenters, I'm jealous you have a boyfriend who likes to read. My husband doesn't like to, though every time I force him to read something he ends up loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I, too, am jealous that you have a boyfriend who likes to read. (I feel like the fact that literacy is non-negotiable is one of the primary reasons I'm still single...heh.) But it's great that you have someone to turn to when you need more books =)

    ReplyDelete